Open-E Data Storage Software V6 offers a simple and dependable solution which will allow you to secure and restore data with minimal interruption to your workflow. There is the choice of using the built-in backup and restore capabilities or using utilizing commercial backup clients already integrated into Open-E DSS V6, like Veritas, EMC Dantz, and CA BrightStor.
When you use Open-E DSS V6 your server applications like e-mail clients, web sites, databases will store data on the file server, making it easy to centralize your backup operations.
In short order, any PC or server hardware can be converted into a dedicated network file server. This makes it cost effective and flexible.
Open-E DSS V6 server can store copy of every application server on inner disks e.g. using Local Backup function to create Virtual Tapes and then by Restore function quickly restore data in case of a breakdown of other disk/server.
Use of snapshots for backup
If the intention is to recover previous versions or deleted files, snapshots are quick and easy and require no tape or other device. At any time snapshots can be mounted and used for fast data recovery just like an external disk. Using tapes for this purpose can take hours, however, an online snapshot requires only a short time ‘freeze’ the data at a point in time. As soon as a snapshot is initiated the source volume is free, and running applications resume. Snapshots then work by copying off any blocks before they are subsequently changed, keeping a full copy of the original data in conjunction with the unchanged data on the volume that can be mounted and browsed.
1. Low cost (Backup to a Dynamic Volume)
- - Motherboard (e.g. all in one) with 1 CPU- 1 GHz, NIC )
- - 1 GB main memory
- - Software RAID or single hard disk drive
- - External drives (USB /ATA/SATA drives) as dynamic volume
2. Medium (Backup to Tape Drive)
- - Motherboard with 2 x Dual Core CPU – 2.8 GHz
- - 8 GB main memory
- - SATA 3Gbps hardware RAID controller with RAID5
- - 8 SATA hard disk drives
- - 4x 1GbE (for bonding)
- - SCSI controller (for tape drive)
- - Tape drive (for streaming)
3. High End (Backup to Tape Library)
- - Motherboard with 2 x Quad Core CPU – 2.4 GHz
- - 32 GB main memory
- - SAS/SATA 3Gbps hardware RAID controller with RAID6 or external storage (e.g. Open-E DSS V6 FC or iSCSI target)
- - 24 SAS/SATA hard disk drives
- - 2x 10GbE (for bonding)
- - FC controller (for external storage )
- - SCSI controller (for tape library)
- - Tape library
- - Enclosure with redundant power supply
How to configure Backup&Restore using Open-E DSS V6:
Backup to a Dynamic Volume using USB /ATA/SATA drives with Open-E Open-E DSS V6
Backup to attached Tape Drive using Open-E Open-E DSS V6
Backup to attached Tape Library using Open-E Open-E DSS V6