Computers have become an integral part of our lives. Using them, we process a huge amount of very important data. But computers are not perfect. Hard disks can fail, file-systems can become corrupt. Also users can accidentally delete important files. Therefore, in order to protect our data we must back it up and keep in mind, that our data will be as safe as the storage used for the backup is reliable.
Storage for backup is a physical device where data is copied to and stored for a specified period of time. To create backups we can use file sharing protocol (SMB, NFS, FTP) or iSCSI protocol. Also, Data Replication allows the user to schedule tasks to copy data on a file-level to other areas. However, the solution used to build the storage for backup must be absolutely safe and ensure us the ability to restore our data in case of any hardware failure.
A system used as storage for backup needn’t be a high-performance machine. First of all we must focus on the safety of stored data. Here are the basic requirements for hardware:
- A server platform with a dual-core CPU can be used for low power consumption
- H/W RAID controller with support for RAID5 or RAID6 for data safety and high capacity
- SATA drives can be used for low cost
- Two or more 1GbE NIC for connections to multiple subnetworks
- A large number of drive trays for large capacity
Software requirements for storage for backup don’t only deal with the issue of reliability. Equally important are also the ability of the backup process automation, easy of use, and flexibility for various implementations. These are the basic requirements for software:
- Web-based graphical user interface for comfortable configuration and maintenance
- Support for SAS/SATA RAID Controllers for large capacity and data safety
- Support for iSCSI, SMB, FTP or NFS protocol
- Data (file) replication for data synchronization between a workstations and storage for backup
Recommended solution for storage for backup: Open-E DSS V6. The software meets all the requirements needed for implementation of such a solution.