- storage performance
Video monitoring has become a common aspect of our lives. It’s widely used by companies and administrations for video surveillance, traffic control and the monitoring of industrial processes. Video monitoring implementation solutions may vary. Some of them require complicated network solutions or dedicated devices, others use a public network and work with common hardware. Despite the fact that they differ in underlying technology and appliance, all of them have something in common - the need for reliable and fast high-capacity storage.
Storage for video monitoring is a set of hardware and software dedicated to storing video records from various monitoring implementations. Such a solution must be reliable, all vulnerable parts should be redundant and the best usage of available disk space must be assured. The set compatibility and stability must be extensively tested to avoid downtime and data corruption.
Storage solutions dedicated to video monitoring should meet certain hardware requirements. The most important for such implementations are stability and high capacity of storage. Basic requirements for the set are listed bellow:
- A server platform with one quad-core CPU for high performance
- H/W RAID controller with support for RAID5 or RAID6 for data safety and best usage of available storage
- Enterprise class SATA drives for high speed drive transfers and data reliability
- Multiple 1GbE NICs for independent connection to different networks
- Large number of drive trays for large capacity
- Redundant power supply for system reliability
There are a few basic requirements that have to be fulfilled for almost every storage implementation for video monitoring. Ensuring continuous operation, efficiency and easy of use are essential. Also, automation and data security are basic requirements. Here are the general specifications that must be meet:
- Support for encrypted protocols and access control features like iSCSI CHAP and IP white lists for protection of important data.
- Support for various NAS and SAN protocols to ensure compatibility with a wide range of Network Video Recorders
- Support for SAS/SATA RAID Controllers for large capacity and data safety
- Built-in, SNMP Based Monitoring System and E-mail notification for system monitoring.
- Easy backup solution
The recommended solution for storage for video monitoring: Open-E DSS V6. The software meets all the requirements needed for implementation of such a solution.