- cloud storage
The Cloud computing architecture ensures high availability, scalability and data safety for services operating in this environment. However, there is no magic - to obtain such environment Cloud providers must apply series of carefully selected components and technologies. One of the key components in this architecture is storage.
Storage for Cloud - the physical device, where Cloud computing users data is really stored must meet the highest standards of quality. Both, the hardware and the software used to build the Storage for Cloud must be carefully selected and appropriately configured - the solution must work stable, with very good performance and be able to ensure availability and safety for the data in case of any failure.
The Storage for Cloud solution should be able to serve many users at the same time with satisfied performance. High availability, data safety and big amount of space are a must. These priorities imply very large requirements for hardware solutions. The must-have for Storage for Cloud implementation are:
- Server platform with two quad- or six-cores CPUs for high performance;
- H/W RAID controller with support for RAID 5 or RAID 6 for data safety;
- SAS/SATA drives for high speed drive transfers and reliability;
- 10GbE NICs or minimum one quad port 1GbE NIC for high speed network connection;
- Large number of drive trays for large capacity or external storage enclosure support
Software has to be field proven and easy in use. It must guarantee the security and integrity of data even in case of hardware failure. At least, it should offer a number of features to allow efficient storage management. Software requirements for Storage for Cloud implementations are:
- iSCSI Target or NAS (NFS) share for easy management;
- Automatic Failover for high availability (HA cluster);
- Support for SAS/SATA RAID Controllers for good performance, large capacity and data safety;
- Support for 10 GbE NICs or bonding for efficient network connectivity
Recommended solution for storage for cloud: Open-E DSS V6. The software meets all the requirements needed for implementation of such a solution.
- DSS V6 as a software for cloud storage
- How to serve thousands of users simultaneously?
- High Availability
- Solution for cloud hosting companies