VMware vCenter Server Standard provides large scale management of VMware vSphere deployments for rapid provisioning, monitoring, orchestration, and control of virtual machines. Purchased separately, it is required for managing VMware vSphere server hosts and enabling many of the features.
With VMware vCenter Server Standard, you can:
- Scale up your virtual infrastructure to achieve the highest levels of efficiency and automation
- Drive down operating costs by organizing, monitoring and configuring your entire IT environment through a single interface
VMware vCenter Server Standard for vSphere includes:
- vCenter Orchestrator, an IT process automation engine that gives administrators the tools they need to better automate the environment.
- vCenter Server Linked Mode that enables a common inventory view across multiple vCenter Servers.
- A management server, the universal hub for provisioning, monitoring and configuring virtualized environments.
- A database server that stores persistent configuration data and performance information.
- A search engine that allows administrators to search the entire object inventory of multiple vCenter Servers from one place.
- The vSphere Client that provides administrators with a feature-rich console for accessing one or more vCenter Servers simultaneously.
- The vCenter Web Access portal that provides remote access from any system.
- vCenter APIs and a .NET Extension that allow integration between vCenter Server and other tools, and support customized plug-ins to the vSphere Client.